Monday, February 14, 2011

February 8: Pisa with my dad



Pisa is the sight of one of Italy’s most recognizable monuments and long-lasting symbols: its leaning bell tower, which was built almost 1,000 years ago. My dad and I visited the tower the day before he left to go home, as it is a must-see in Italy. We took the train which was fairly simple and arrived in the busy, Italian student-filled city. The book which I have cautiously been relying on as a guide, Let’s Go Europe, once again misguided me, as it promised there would be numerous signs pointing in the direction of the tower throughout the city. However, my dad and I only saw one and it was pointing in the opposite direction of where we later learned the tower stands, at a brick wall. Using a map and my broken Italian, we finally made it to Pisa’s one and only attraction. 



What's cooler: his hat or the tower? 

Ceiling of the cathedral 

Get it? He's leaning too hahahahahahaha

The tower is undeniably cool, but when I first saw it I had more of a feeling of, “oh ok there it is”, rather than, “OH my god! That’s so cool”. We took the obligatory tourist pics and then walked around the cathedral and the baptistery which were also very beautiful. What my dad and I enjoyed most about the experience was the peaceful atmosphere surrounding the tower. It was a bright sunny day and I enjoyed seeing GREEN GRASS, which is a rarity where I live in the city. After fully appreciating the tower and getting a few more silly pictures, we ended the day with a delicious panino at a shop called J’adore Italia. Definitely worth the trip.


Grazie mille dad! 

Next post: Amsterdam 

No comments:

Post a Comment