Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January 17th and 18th: Classes begin


Classes started yesterday. I was starting to forget that I am actually here to study (supposedly). Our "school" is called the CEA GlobalCampus. It is located in an office building in the Piazza della Repubblica. It consists of one very clean and modern looking hallway with a front desk and several classrooms and offices branching off of it. Most of the professors are Italian. I am taking Photography in Florence, history of the Medici, the Social History of the Italian Mafia, and Intermediate Italian II (12 credits). I bought books today and I have never spent less, which I am sure my parents will be appreciative of. I am hoping to get a lot out of my classes while still taking it very easy.

My photography professor is amazing. He is my favorite type of Italian: deeply philosophical and appreciative of life. His class sounds like it will be amazing and I cannot wait to learn how to use my camera more skillfully. The Medici class seems like your typical upper level history class and Italian seems pretty basic as well. I had my first Mafia class today and it has already completely blown my mind. Learning about the Mafia is interesting because nearly all of my preconceptions of it are wrong. Furthermore, learning about the Mafia in Italy is a unique opportunity because I can see the implications of its existence all around me. After watching several scary movie clips, I found myself looking around me on the streets and wondering who might be involved in the Mafia eeeek. 


Last night my roommates and I attended a cooking class included in our CEA program. The class was extremely chaotic and consisted more of an Italian chef shouting instructions such as "stir this!" "cut this"  "No the pieces must all be the same size!", while we all tried to keep up. Still we did manage to make a three course meal, consisting of a caprese salad, potato gnocchi and a chocolate souffle. It was delicious!


Speaking of delicious, I need to talk about my favorite place to eat in Italy so far. It's called Antico Noe and it's a panino shop. Before I ate there for the first time, I heard rumors among the students that this places makes "life-changing" sandwiches and I can attest that it's true. After eating a turkey, mozzarella, pesto sandwich on Monday, I couldn't stop thinking about it. It was like that butterfly feeling you get after meeting someone you really like, except with food. My friends and I have been trying different sandwiches there and they only get better. Jules is probably the most obsessed; she has started describing everything in terms of its proximity to Antico and if we're lost in the city, she can usually sense Antico and lead us to safety. But seriously, the freshness and quality of the typical Italian ingredients make these panini unreal (panini means sandwiches plural, so when you order a "panini" in America, you're really ordering a sandwichES). 
After two days of classes I'm definitely starting to feel more confident traveling alone in Florence. Although I still constantly feel lost, I can usually at least find my way back to the Duomo, and I have learned the key to not getting harassed by men and gypsies on the streets: stare at the sidewalk (or wear sunglasses) and frown constantly. As for my Italian, I speak much more fluently after a few drinks and I am starting more, day by day. Soon I will fit right in, just kidding American students (which number in the thousands here in Florence) stand out immediately here. Italians are just way too chic.

I miss everyone in America very much!
Ciao,
 Nell

1 comment: